For our 50th episode, we have a really cool episode with some really awesome guests: the lead singer/accordionist of the Chardon Polka Band, Jake Kouwe, and one of their superfans, Tom Hooks. With Dyngus Day fast approaching, we have a very Polka-filled episode for you.
While we sipped on Mello Hello Brut IPA by Platform, we began got to know Jake and the band he founded. We talked the origins of the band, the definition of Cleveland-style polka, and previewed Dyngus Day. We also talked about Jake and Tom’s favorite Cleveland hangouts, the top five Cleveland bands, and discussed that new Stranger Things season 3 trailer!
As always, thank you for listening and remember to check us out on social media at @thelotlpodcast (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).
- Dyngus Day Celebrations: April 22 (Gordon Square, various CLE neighborhoods)
- 9th Annual Cleveland Dyngus Day Celebration
- From the website:
- “Historically a Polish tradition, Dyngus Day celebrates the end of the observance of Lent and the joy of Easter. Over the decades, Dyngus Day has become a wonderful holiday to celebrate Polish-American culture, heritage and traditions. In Cleveland specifically, our goal is to not only make this a Polish Cultural festival, we also want to celebrate our Polka Heritage as well as the other Eastern European cultures still thriving in Cleveland.”
- Crowds of around 45,000 usually.
- Centered around Gordon Square neighborhood on Detroit Ave., but celebrations will go on around the city, including Ohio City and Tremont
- Sibling Revelry will be the official beer sponsor; Western Reserve will serve vodka
- Ethnic food vendors include the Pierogi Lady, Pierogi Joe, Rudy’s Strudel & Bakery, Cleveland Vegan, Banter, and Carmen’s
- Live music: Chardon Polka Band, Don Wojtila Band and the Alex Meixner Band, DJ Kishka