NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Episode 101 was recorded virtually using the Discord app in adherence to social distancing laws. All future episodes will be recorded as such until the pandemic ends.
Brew of the Week
- Jordan: Peach Ginger Spirited Seltzer by Platform Beer Co.
- Dan: Hippity Hop JuJu by Fat Head’s
- Jimmy: New Cleveland Pilsner by Platform Brewing Co.
Poll off the week: Do you enjoy thunderstorms?
Top 5 of the week: None this week. Replaced with discussion on coronavirus memes/challenges as well as our Easter traditions.
Guest of the week: None this week.
“Jimmy In the CLE”: Yes! But nothing to do 🙁
- Plain Dealer all but extinct after latest layoffs and changes
- From Scene article: https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/04/07/plain-dealer-put-out-to-pasture-in-final-death-blow-remaining-reporters-given-impossible-choice/
- After last week’s layoffs of 22 more reporters, the remaining 14 reporters were told they cannot cover the city of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Summit County, or any story that would be considered a “statewide” issue.
- If employees don’t resign, they can remain employed as members of a “bureau” that covers Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina and Portage counties.
- An incredibly ridiculous and impossible choice.
- Those areas of news will now be covered by Cleveland.com, the non-union, all-digital counterpart
- Cleveland’s iconic paper, which began in 1842, was at one time considered to be among the greatest newspapers in the US
- Shameful actions and decisions from Advance Publications
- Tornado touched down in Lorain & Medina counties
- Cleveland.com: https://www.cleveland.com/weather/2020/04/national-weather-service-confirms-tornado-touched-down-in-southern-lorain-northern-medina-counties.html
- Touched down around 11:30 p.m. around Ohio 57 and Ohio 303 in Grafton and traveled about 11.5 miles southeast into Medina County, and lifted just south of the city of Medina after travelling about 11.5 miles
- NWS classified it as an EF-1, with maximum winds of 100 MPH
- OHIO CORONAVIRUS UPDATES (all info from Ohio Dept. of Health: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/)
- 5,512 cases
- 213 deaths
- 1,612 hospitalized
- 497 ICU patients
- Ohio’s peak numbers drastically lower than originally projected: https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2020/04/ohios-latest-projections-for-coronavirus-outbreak-shift-dramatically-to-peak-of-2000-per-day-in-late-april.html
- Originally was supposed to be 10,000 per day
- OHIO NEWS UPDATES
- National Guard is assisting with the fight now in Ohio
- NATIONAL UPDATES (SOURCE: CNN https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-04-02-20-intl/index.html)
- 461,437 cases
- 16,478 deaths
- WORLDWIDE UPDATES
- 1,595,350 cases
- 95455 deaths
Support your local restaurants (LOTL’s takeout experiences)
- Lindey’s Lakehouse
- Platform Beer Co. (delivered)
- Burning River Coffee Co.
As usual, follow us on social media at @thelotlpodcast (Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram).
Thanks for listening!